HMS Royal William 1692

‘Royal William’
(under construction)

Ship’s History

HMS Royal William (formerly known as HMS Prince) was a 100-gun first rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, built by Phineas Pett the Younger at Deptford Dockyard and launched in 1670.

HMS Prince was rebuilt by Robert Lee at Chatham Dockyard in 1692, and renamed at the same time as HMS Royal William. During the War of the Grand Alliance the ship saw action at the Battle of Barfleur of 19 May 1692. The ship belonged to the red squadron and carried the flag of Rear-admiral of the red Sir Cloudesley Shovell. She was the first ship to break the French line during the battle.

Later she was rebuilt for a second time by John Naish at Portsmouth Dockyard from 1714, relaunching on 3 September 1719. She was laid up after her re-launch and saw no service at all until she was reduced to an 84-gun Second rate ship in 1756.

(Finished) Model Dimensions

Overall Length1140 mm
Hull Length910 mm
Maximum Width510 mm
Hull Width160 mm
Height950 mm